Primarily we are here to help people and to try to transform their lives by providing opportunities and giving support.
Stand Firm is a community interest company incorporated for the benefit of Mustard Tree, a homelessness charity servicing the Greater Manchester area. The aim of Stand Firm is to provide skills training, employment and employment opportunities for those facing significant barriers to employment in the Manchester area. Typically, our volunteers and employees come through the Freedom Project operated by Mustard Tree.
A key aim of Stand Firm is to utilise, recycle or upcycle any furniture, metal, white goods and other electrical equipment which it clears particularly from a void contract that we have with Northwards Housing Association, and other House Clearances that we do, with the added aim of being able to offer such items back into the same communities through Mustard Tree furniture retail outlets. It is a vital part of the ethos of Stand Firm that the communities in which Stand Firm operates benefit directly from its work through employment opportunities and recycled furniture and household goods offered back to the community at affordable prices.
Over the last 12 months, Mustard Tree has been able to realise over £9,000 through furniture and other items passed through by Stand Firm. Stand Firm has been able to achieve this level of recycling without premises or a dedicated recycling depot.
The next stage of our evolution is to develop a dedicated the new facility at West Egerton Street in Salford, and when this is fully up and running we will look to achieve:
- To develop our Recycling capacity and income streams in partnership with EMR
- To increase the level of our recycling and throughput of viable furniture and household items to Mustard Tree;
- To reduce the operating costs of Stand Firm by eliminating as far as is possible our reliance on commercial tipping through appropriate recycling thereby increasing profits which can be released back to Mustard Tree and enabling further employment opportunities for volunteers;
- Develop training opportunities for volunteers to learn carpentry, metalwork and electrical skills up-cycling broken furniture and other household items which can then be resold through Mustard Tree.
- Provide recycling services for third parties in the social enterprise/social housing sector.